What should I expect when using Iberogast?
Iberogast is just one tool out of many that you should consider and I’ll tell you why. Although you will statistically likely find indigestion relief, and relief for your gas, you will find better solutions that are longer term and more inexpensive. However, I will attest that for quick relief, there is no harm to add this to your vitamin cabinet
“Digestive bitters” which are very common in Europe, are safe to use, and are typically compounds from herbs that are localized to specific areas because that’s what people had access to before cars, boats and planes. Iberogast is one type of bitters formula popular in Germany. I personally like it, but use it in addition, rather than as your main weapon.
First, here are some plus sides to Iberogast:
- The compounds in iberis amara, called clown’s mustard, showed statistical gastrointestinal relief of more than 500 people analyzed in a meta study done at the NIH. What this means is that some degree of relief was experienced in some studies, however, the amount of relief, duration of effect, and quantity of the doses, is not quantified. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15927925
- Second, the production of the product is first class.
- Third, add-on herbs like camomile and caraway are really nice additions
Here are some downsides
- High alcohol content which is 30%. Of course, this gives you an excuse to drink at work
- A little spendy. I’m not saying it’s not worth the money, but there are other options.
- Have you ever tasted bitters? They’re hard to tolerate and not for everybody.